Senior Learning Technologist (Coventry, FTC until September 2019)
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Learning Technologist to join FutureLearn’s embedded team at Coventry University Online, as part of an exciting new initiative to develop 50 online degrees over the next five years.
This role is based at Coventry University in the West Midlands, UK. It is likely you will also be required to commute to London and other locations occasionally. This is a full-time fixed term contract ending in September 2019.
You might currently be employed as a Learning Technologist or Academic Content Developer, but your title is less important to us than your mentality. We're looking for an enthusiastic and creative professional who is knowledgeable and passionate about new approaches to teaching and learning online. The ideal candidate will be familiar with current pedagogical practices and debates about social learning and eager to apply these in the hands-on development of online distance learning qualifications. We’re looking for a driven individual and a natural leader; someone who loves breaking down complex problems and who is committed to meeting project deadlines and establishing efficient ways of working. We’re looking for someone who is excited about the prospect of working in a fast-paced, start up environment, keen to roll up their sleeves and hit the ground running.
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and University of Groningen. We also work offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over 7.5 million learners from all over the world and we've seen over 19 million enrolments on our open online courses and are now working with our partners to pioneer a more modular and accessible approach to studying full degrees.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
You'll be responsible for driving the development of innovative and inspiring online courses, obtaining raw content assets from academic staff and creating engaged student-centred learning experiences. We're looking for someone who is passionate about online learning, web design, usability and accessibility principles. You’ll already have an intrinsic understanding of content management systems (CMS) and, though you’re unlikely to do any actual coding, a good grounding in HTML and/or Markdown. You will have strong digital storytelling acumen and the ability to craft a compelling narrative.
The Senior Learning Technologist collaborates with the university faculty staff, academics, project managers, learning designers, and digital media specialists to storyboard and produce new online qualifications from existing face-to-face degrees. S/he will take ownership of content development for selected online degrees, stay abreast of FutureLearn platform developments, and instigate effective workflows for others to follow.
- Collaborates on the production of degree qualifications comprised of multiple FutureLearn programs, each containing a series of short courses. Duties will include researching, sourcing, commissioning, writing, editing and uploading any digital content required courses – including text, images, audio, video and other interactive content.
- Liaises closely with the Project Managers, Learning Designers and Digital Media Producers to ensure the development of online content is completed on schedule and to the agreed scope, budget and quality criteria.
- Demonstrates leadership and collaborative spirit to implement and execute the agreed plan, whilst developing the knowledge and skills of peers.
- Leads workshops and carries out scoping to define the deliverables for each course component, working in partnership with Learning Designers, course authors and instructors.
- Communicates the requirements for each course component to a cross-functional team, briefing internal and external suppliers as required.
- Liaises with the FutureLearn team in London regarding new platform features and processes. Informs Studio colleagues in Coventry of platform capabilities and best practices.
- Understand Coventry’s degree requirements to help inform product roadmaps.
- Analyses student engagement data to inform required interventions and/or the design of new courses on the FutureLearn platform.
- Manages setup and training for technology related to Coventry’s degree programme.
- Understands, documents and trains staff on Moodle setup linked from FutureLearn
- Develops a toolkit for creation of courses by Coventry University Online.
- Works with Project Managers to identify and secure resources where necessary (e.g. third-party providers or contributors). Oversees the production of all resources to achieve consistency and timely delivery.
- Liaises with Senior Studio colleagues to ensure consistency of production:
- uploaded to FutureLearn’s Content Management System in the correct format and specification
- archived and logged appropriately
- rights cleared for use on FutureLearn
- accessible to all users (including overseeing the process of transcription and subtitling for any audio/video content)
- Carries out quality assurance checks on all components of online programs ahead of courses starting.
- Reports to Key Account Director, FutureLearn, with supervision provided by Head of Studio, Coventry University Online.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following qualities and experience:
- Educated to at least undergraduate level in a relevant field, or equivalent professional qualifications.
- Demonstrable experience of leading digital content projects and familiarity with agile and linear project management methodologies.
- First-hand experience of designing and producing online learning content
- Ability to envisage how content and learning activities can be most effectively presented, structured and sequenced for the optimal user experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate professionally to stakeholders at all levels, including high-level executives, and write precise specifications and guidelines.
- Experience of hosting creative workshops, leading and inspiring others.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to drive multiple projects with interrelated or competing dependencies.
- Ability to analyse complex problems, come up with creative solutions and make prioritisation decisions.
- Infallible critical eye for detail.
- Understanding of digital audio/video production workflows and experience in storyboarding, scripting, filming and/or editing.
- Proficiency with a wide array of software and cloud-based applications, including:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Google Drive, Dropbox and/or Sharepoint
- Microsoft Office suite
- Apple Keynote and/or Powerpoint
- Basic video editing (e.g. Adobe Premiere Pro)
The following experience is desirable, but not essential:
- Proficiency with e-learning content creation packages such as Camtasia, Adobe Captivate and/or Articulate Storyline.
- Experience of analysing learning analytics data sets using tools such as RStudio, Google Analytics and/or Periscope.
- Experience of using project management and tracking tools such as Microsoft Project, Trello, Smartsheet and Pivotal Tracker.
- Confidence in managing and directing a film crew.
- Experience of using Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Competitive Salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- Great coffee, teas & fruit
- Complimentary breakfast
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.