Lead User Experience (UX) Researcher- Maternity Leave Cover
FutureLearn is transforming access to education. Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and full online degrees run by the world’s leading universities from around the globe, and cultural institutions such as The British Museum, BFI, and the British Council. Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over six million learners from all over the world and we have seen over 15 million enrolments on our MOOCs. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. We are recruiting for a Lead UX Experience researcher to join our team for a 9 month fixed term contract basis.
This role is an exciting opportunity for the right person to lead UX Research at FutureLearn. Building on a strong foundation, you will be pivotal in enabling research and insight to influence FutureLearn. The role reports to the Creative Director and sits within the UX Research and Design team. A second UX Researcher reports into this role. Both work independently, with each other and collaboratively across the business. By embedding with product teams, or supporting and consulting with others, especially designers, we extend our skills and empower them to conduct research and make confident insight-led decisions themselves. By working with the Data and Strategy teams we can produce even more powerful insights, inform product direction and help to define business metrics.
AS UX RESEARCH LEAD YOU WILL:
- Lead and promote UX research and user-centred processes at FutureLearn, championing user needs, guiding best practice and enabling useful, timely, efficient research.
- Manage the UX research pipeline and define how resource is allocated: gathering and interpreting team’s insight needs, balancing and prioritising them alongside broader and ongoing research activities.
- Support, line manage and manage the work of one UX Researcher.
- Manage and conduct all aspects of UX research projects using appropriate methods, across the entire product development cycle, from ideation to release and beyond. This also includes tracking performance and brand appeal, defining metrics, understanding users and informing content.
- Recruit diverse, appropriate participants, handling the process from start to finish. This includes manually recruiting from our own global users, using agencies and opportunity samples.
- Promote and present research findings and recommendations clearly; internally, to partners and beyond.
- Support and educate staff across the business to plan, conduct and use pragmatic, quality research.
- Manage, maintain and support others to use the technical and practical research processes and infrastructure, including a great research room, adaptable research technologies, the UX research budget and a toolbox of templates and guides.
- Make it easy for staff to observe and collaborate in research and to engage with findings.
- Ensure there’s an appropriate level of consistency across research projects, so participants and FutureLearn users have a positive experience and opinion of FutureLearn.
- Follow and advise on legal, ethical research practices and data regulations.
- Stay connected to what’s going on across FutureLearn and beyond, spotting and acting on research opportunities and ways to use insights, and making/experimenting with methodological improvements.
YOU WILL HAVE:
- At least 5 solid years of experience conducting and leading UX research projects, most of which should be in agile, digital product company settings. This will include:
- An excellent hands-on understanding of UX research methods and how to use them appropriately, ethically, soundly and efficiently to deliver actionable and meaningful insights.
- Ample experience of all practical and planning aspects of UX research projects.
- Ample facilitation and interview experience with diverse global participants, remote or in person.
- Use and analysis of online surveys and on-platform research techniques.
- Manual recruitment and use of behavioral or demographic data to define suitable samples.
- Confident use of relevant software and technology; to conduct research across different devices, analyse qualitative and quantitative data, and present findings.
- Presenting findings and recommendations in compelling, clear ways to a variety of audiences.
- Experience of working with and understanding the perspectives of product teams and roles such as: data scientists, data engineers, analysts, developers, designers and other UX researchers.
- Experience of managing research pipelines and resources to deliver timely insights with business impact.
- Experience of managing and supporting others to conduct research, analyse findings and use appropriate methods, and engaging others collaboratively in research processes.
- Line management or mentoring experience.
- Having experience of the following would be useful, but isn’t required: web technologies (e.g. SQL and HTML), digital accessibility, data science and statistics, video and image editing, academic writing, blogging about research, pedagogy and psychology theory.
YOU WILL BE:
- A champion of research: encouraging and teaching staff and promoting user needs.
- An excellent listener with a natural empathy for users. You’ll have a passion for understanding their needs whilst demonstrating the rigour, focus and attention to detail needed to gather insights methodically.
- An analytical problem-solver: able to balance user and business needs, quickly synthesise data and insights into well-structured findings and develop evidence-based recommendations.
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to get your ideas or complex topics across easily, confidently and succinctly, verbally and in writing, to different audiences.
- Curious about creativity and design
- Creative and pragmatic in your approach, making the most of resources whilst delivering reliable insights.
- Very comfortable analysing and presenting qualitative and quantitative data.
- Highly organised, with great time-management and the ability to communicate plans clearly to others.
- Open to new ideas, changes in UX trends, methodologies, experimentation and feedback.
- Happy to work with light direction, be flexible and accept specific direction as required.
- Enthusiastic about collaboration with others, whilst being equally happy to work independently.
- Comfortable working on a few projects and tasks concurrently, happy to switch focus when needed.
- Proactive in staying up to date with UX research developments and improving research at FutureLearn.
Quite simply, you will be a delight to work with, and we’ll wonder how we ever got by without you!
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday, ( Pro rata'd to 21 days for the duration of contract) (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- Great coffee, teas, fruit & daily breakfast.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital or disability status.