Junior PR Executive
Reporting to: Head of Communications
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’ve got a great opportunity for the right person to join the in-house communications team at FutureLearn to raise awareness of our EdTech start-up.
As this is a junior role, it’s likely to suit someone with a little experience in the sector but experience is not mandatory. You do need to love to write, know what’s going on in the news, be organised, be passionate about getting things done, and be able to work with lots of different people. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
- Handle incoming press enquiries.
- Create press materials for launches, announcements, conferences, etc.
- Create media lists and support the team with forward features tracking.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key journalists, bloggers and influencers.
- Monitor and respond to reactive news opportunities and journalist enquiries.
- Work with the team to find opportunities and proactively pitch stories that will promote FutureLearn campaigns and courses in the MOOC, Edtech and higher education space as well as in consumer and relevant sector press.
- Support the team to liaise with our partners to draft joint press releases and plan joint campaigns.
- Help to identify awards that FutureLearn can enter.
- Support the team to produce monthly reports outlining PR activity and associated results.
- Support the team with researching and collating market news.
- As well as all these day-to-day things, you’ll also get to support on wider thought leadership campaigns including drafting opinion pieces and comments as you develop in the role.
- Previous experience is desirable - account assistant to junior account executive level would be ideal.
- Excellent written English and oral skills.
- Excellent team-working / cross team collaboration skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- An interest in analytics / reporting is desirable.
- An interest in the public relations, international technology and/or education technology and higher education landscapes, is desirable.
- Journalist/blogging experience and/or a passion for writing is desirable. Please feel free to include links to any previously published written work.
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
To apply, please send us your CV and a one page cover letter, stating your salary expectations.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.
Closing date: Friday 19th October 2018