Department: Legal Team
Reporting to: Head of Legal
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a junior lawyer to join a dynamic team in an exciting business and industry. The right candidate will have a desire to have a real impact by supporting the business with a wide range of legal and compliance issues on its path to growth and transform access to education. We are a culturally diverse team that consists of a Contracts Manager, a Legal Counsel and a Head of Legal. Although we take our role seriously it is equally important to us that we are able to have fun together and with the wider business. A great attitude and willingness to learn are the two most important traits we are looking for, though you do need to be a qualified lawyer.
Legal & Compliance
- Advise the business on a range of legal queries, in areas such as IT, Consumer law, IP etc.
- Review and negotiate a range of legal documentation, including Customer contracts and supplier contracts with support from the Head of Legal and other more senior Legal Counsels, from inception to conclusion.
- Advise on GDPR and assist the DPO with data protection issues.
- Assist on other key compliance areas such as competition, employment, country risks and assist the company to better manage them.
- Review, draft and amend various policies from time to time.
- Identify risk from a commercial and/or legal perspective and assist with finding creative solutions.
Relationships and knowledge
- Work with the wider legal team and business to establish and maintain good processes and relationships that enables the legal team to work closely with and be responsive to the business.
- Work especially close with the business development teams and manage negotiations on their behalf, to the extent appropriate.
- Stay on top of current legal issues and developments and share relevant pieces with the wider team.
- Qualified Solicitor (at least NQ)
- Good contract drafting skills and technical ability
- Must have experience working on commercial contracts, preferably in an international setting
- Corporate, IP, litigation, and employment law experience is a plus
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and balance and prioritise a large workload in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent working knowledge of contract law and concepts and knowledge of project management principles
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are required to develop creative solutions to complex business relationships
- An interest in the transformation of online learning delivery and higher and further education institutions
- Additional language abilities desirable
- Up to £45k depending on experience
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.