Communications Manager (Media/External)
Communications Manager (Media/External)
Reporting to: Head of Communications
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote position and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and University of Groningen. We also offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over 7.5 million learners from all over the world and we've seen over 19 million enrolments on our open online courses and are now working with our partners to pioneer a more modular and accessible approach to studying full degrees.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Following a £50m investment in the business, we’ve got a great opportunity for the right person to join the communications team at FutureLearn. This role is purely focused on external relations, primarily media, and will suit someone who loves coming up with great ideas, pitching to media, writing articles and ultimately securing great media coverage. The role also involves line management with one direct reportee upon successfully passing probation.
Do you love to write, always know what’s going on in the news? Are you organised and passionate about getting things done? Do you have experience of running your own account or projects? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
This is a coveted in-house PR role where you’ll work with a highly experienced, ex-agency and in-house communications expert. We welcome candidates with either agency or in-house experience.
- Handle incoming press enquiries.
- Create press materials for launches, announcements, conferences, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key journalists, bloggers and influencers.
- Lead on working with the business to identify and draft thought leadership pieces including comments and full opinion pieces.
- Identify crisis issues, escalating to the senior team as necessary.
- Monitor and respond to reactive news opportunities and journalist enquiries.
- Work with the team to find opportunities and proactively pitch stories that will promote FutureLearn campaigns and courses in the MOOC, Edtech and higher education space as well as in consumer and relevant sector press.
- Work with the PR / comms departments of our partners to draft joint press releases and plan joint campaigns.
- Work with various teams within FutureLearn to advise on communications opportunities for their departments.
- Support the Head of Communications to keep the communications department at The Open University updated about key media activities.
- Identify and research appropriate conference and speaker opportunities for FutureLearn.
- Help to identify awards that FutureLearn can enter.
- Produce monthly reports outlining PR activity and associated results.
- Line management
- Experience required - Senior Account Executive - Account Manager level or in-house Press Officer level is preferred.
- Excellent written English and oral skills.
- Excellent team-working / cross team collaboration skills.
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to run / project manage a campaign.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Experience of working with senior stakeholders - MD, C-suite level
- Line management experience.
- Ability to manage upwards.
- An interest in analytics / reporting is desirable.
- An interest in the public relations, international technology and/or education technology and higher education landscapes, is an advantage.
- A can-do attitude!
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- Great coffee, teas & fruit and daily breakfast
- Complimentary breakfast
To apply, please send us your CV and a one page cover letter, stating your salary expectations.
Deadline to receive CVs - Midnight Wednesday 25th September
Telephone interviews - w/c Monday 30th September
Face to face interviews - w/c 7th October
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.