Reporting to: Chief Experience Officer
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
FutureLearn is looking for a talented Art Director to join our dynamic UX, Research & Design team. This role will report into the Chief Experience Officer and work within the marketing team. This is a unique opportunity for the right person to influence the power of our global brand, working off-platform to grow the reach of FutureLearn.
- Work closely with copywriter, marketing and communication teams to generate creative ideas and lead the visual design process of inspiring and bold marketing campaigns and collateral for FutureLearn.
- Champion the FutureLearn brand within the company and beyond, finding the right balance between evolving the brand and ensuring consistency. This will lead to the creation and implementation of brand guidelines and templates.
- Design visually compelling and inventive digital assets such as infographics, online banners and other promotional graphics required to promote FutureLearn and our courses, across social media portals and affiliate partner websites.
- Conduct simple user research and testing of your designs with users, analyse results and integrate these changes into your design process
- Design printed posters, leaflets, signage and physical merchandise to promote and advertise FutureLearn at events or other initiatives.
- Present your work regularly to groups of people, taking on feedback and adjusting designs as required. In addition to actively contributing to discussions championing the brand and user experience at all times.
- You will have a wealth of experience working in the design field and have a portfolio of fresh ideas, which demonstrate a strong visual flare and a solid design aesthetic, whilst also showing the ability to work within a brand’s specific guidelines.
- You will have a good knowledge of typography, image manipulation and illustration.
- You will have a good understanding of marketing design and layout and a keen attention to detail.
- You will be super passionate about creating designs and experiences that appeal to the users, whilst understanding the need to balance this with business requirements.
- You will be aware of current design and advertising trends and techniques especially in the area of digital products, and will find ways to introduce and utilise these ideas in your work when appropriate.
- You will have demonstrable experience in the Adobe CS Suite and be at ease using a basic CMS. (The ability to do some simple motion graphics and video editing would be a big plus, but is not required.)
- You will be a good communicator, with the ability to get your ideas across through a range of styles, tools or techniques as appropriate.
- You will work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team, being flexible to changes and specific direction, whilst maintaining a positive attitude.
- You will love what you do and be committed to making excellent work, showing motivation and energy to complete the tasks to the best of your ability, and developing your skills at every opportunity.
- Quite simply, you will be a delight to work with, and we’ll wonder how we ever worked without you!
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Submit a link to your outstanding portfolio and attach your CV along with an email explaining why you are so interested in this position.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.