Lead Service Designer
Lead Service Designer
Job Title: Lead Service Designer
Department: UX, Research and Design Team
Reporting to: Chief Experience Officer
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full time
Location: London, Camden.
This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and University of Groningen. We also work offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over 7.5 million learners from all over the world and we've seen over 19 million enrolments on our open online courses and are now working with our partners to pioneer a more modular and accessible approach to studying full degrees.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Lead Service Designer will join the FutureLearn UX, Research and Design team to create opportunities for FutureLearn’s continued growth. Collaborating directly with cross-functional teams, the Lead Service Designer will connect separate work streams, simplify complex problems into continuous, compelling and cohesive service designs. You will need to be able to demonstrate extensive experience (6+ years) in a role that has been primarily focused on service design, service strategy or digital innovation. This will be FutureLearn’s first Service Designer, so it’s a big opportunity for the right person to shape the role and the area.
- Lead the overall design of the service, integrating multiple products workstreams into a coherent user journey.
- Using an agile methodology, test service ideas by running experiments at different levels of sophistication, from early solution hypotheses to lo-fi prototypes and full blown pilots.
- Work closely with product teams and user research to ensure service-level coherence of design and user experience.
- Proactively seek to identify opportunities to develop and optimise service designs to reflect user needs and intentions.
- Lead knowledge sharing and good practice in service design and build a service design community within the company.
- Work closely with Product Management and leadership to continually refine understanding of product requirements, influencing and supporting decision making and planning.
- You are able to lead the end-to-end service design process, from framing a challenge, to research and insights, to concept and implementation. You are hands-on in all the aspects of service design, as well as mentor and guide others to learn these skills.
- You can evidence your skills with examples of work grounded in insights about people, where you’ve applied your research, strategy and design skills to solve real-world human problems to change organisations (not just artistic or academic exercises).
- In addition to the core skills required of a service designer, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strategic thinking: You love ambiguous problems. You are a master in making the complex simple and use the narratives you create to engage stakeholders in your work. You can easily switch from macro to micro; from understanding the strategic value and business dynamics of FutureLearn’s product or service, to caring about the details of the design and UX.
- Communication: You are able to speak visual language, business language and operational language. You are an excellent communicator with great instincts for capturing thoughts and synthesising them into a captivating story.
- Collaboration: You are confident and flexible and have experience working in interdisciplinary teams where harmonious collaboration is imperative. You enjoy building great relationships with colleagues, and giving and receiving honest feedback.
- Evangelism: You have a strong design voice and point of view on where to go and rationale for why. You are comfortable presenting and liaising with senior stakeholders throughout the design process, and will enjoy the challenge of championing the value of service design across the entire organisation.
- Ownership: You will take responsibility for ensuring the service design discipline has a positive impact on the business as much as is feasible, and evidence this to key stakeholders periodically.
- Team Management: You will have had experience line managing a small team, and know how to support and challenge them to grow and deliver to their best ability. (This role does not initially have direct reports but there is the potential that this will happen in the future, so this skillset is required.)
- £60k – £80k (dependent on experience)
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a CV, cover letter and a link to your portfolio. On your cover letter please clearly explain what excites you about this role, and outline some of the key skills and experience you would bring to the role. This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application's chances of success.
Please contact [email protected] if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender assignment, age, pregnancy, maternity and paternity status, or disability status, marital and civil partnership status.