Product Designer (Senior)
Department: UX Research & Design Team
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and the University of Groningen. We also work offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run thousands of online courses that have attracted 9 million learners from all over the world and we have seen over 22 million enrolments. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through microcredentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in the extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We're looking for an enthusiastic and talented UX/UI product designer to join our award-winning UX Research & Design team – working within a friendly, dynamic and agile mixed-discipline Ed-Tech environment. You will be a high-level practitioner who can lead projects with little support, proactively identify where you can make a positive impact. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to expand on their skills and work on something that has a genuinely positive impact in a changing world.
- Work closely with product managers, the user experience lead, developers and other stakeholders to understand project requirements and create forward-thinking solutions that push the boundaries and deliver successful outcomes for the learner and for those involved.
- Drive the user experience, interaction, and visual design throughout the entire project lifecycle from initial idea generation, sketches, user flows and wireframes to the delivery of visually rich, inspiringly simple, and easy-to-use experiences that enhance our brand.
- Conduct research and test your designs with users, analyse results and integrate these changes into your design process, with guidance from our user experience researchers.
- Understanding competitive landscapes, data and insight to decide on design and product directions
- Design within the framework of the FutureLearn Design System becoming an active participant in evolving and developing the Design System with the team over time.
- Present your work fortnightly at sprint reviews and in other situations to groups of people, taking on feedback and adjusting designs as required. In addition, contribute to other discussions about the product, championing the user experience and brand at all times.
- You will be able to demonstrate a solid level of design skills, demonstrated by your prior experience.
- The ability to solve problems with sound reasoning, using research and data to inform and evaluate solutions, balancing the needs of users and the business.
- The ability to illustrate a solid level of UX knowledge and practical skills with real-world examples.
- The ability to create stimulating and accessible visual designs that evoke the right emotions for users.
- The ability to demonstrate experience and/or the desire to line manage and mentor less experienced designers.
- The ability to create, manage and facilitate workshops for product team and wider stakeholders to ensure broad insight and understanding
- The ability to organize, structure and label content, data and navigation in an effective and scalable way, while keeping the whole platform in mind.
- The ability to create prototypes to test theories, hypothesis and the usability of ideas.
- The ability to conduct user research to test the effectiveness of your design solutions and adapt your ideas accordingly based on an objective analysis of this research.
- The ability to think holistically, tying together human, digital and physical interactions, over time, to create an experience that meets the needs of users.
We will be looking for you to demonstrate the following competencies – appropriate to your prior experience.
- Collaboration: The ability to collaborate within a cross-discipline product team.
- Communication: The ability to explain things in a clear and non-judgmental way.
- Initiative: The ability to explore and propose solutions without being prompted.
- Curiosity: The ability and desire to learn and understand.
- Design: The ability to demonstrate a solid level of design skills.
- £55k- £65k (depending on experience)
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a cover letter, CV and a link to your portfolio. in your cover letter please clearly explain how you meet the essential skills and experience criteria mentioned in the requirements specification section of the job description. This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application's chances of success.
Please contact [email protected] if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender assignment, age, pregnancy, maternity and paternity status, or disability status, marital and civil partnership status.