JOB TITLE: Communications Manager
Department: Communications Team
Reporting to: Head of Communications
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and the University of Groningen. We also work offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run thousands of online courses that have attracted over 9 million learners from all over the world and we have seen over 22 million enrolments. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in the extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
After recent investment of £50m, FutureLearn is scaling up and we need an incredibly organised and creative person to join our Communications team. The role of Communications Manager is primarily to own the messages that FutureLearn puts out into the world. This means taking charge of creating fantastic keynote presentations for our CEO to deliver at international conferences, assisting others in the company with their presentations and messaging, and ensuring that everyone has the latest and most exciting company information to hand. In addition, this role will flex to support the wider Communications team as needed with key activities (such as developing communications plans, supporting with media work around big corporate announcements, and pitching for speaking slots).
This role also includes internal communications responsibilities, working with our People team and various members of the Leadership Team to ensure that important information is cascaded throughout the company and that in general, we are communicating as effectively internally as we do externally.
The role sits in the Communications team and reports to the Head of Communications, but will also involve working closely with the Chief Strategy Officer, Chief Operating Officer, People Lead, CEO and other members of the leadership team. As such, the Communications Manager must have stakeholder management experience and an excellent ability to manage upwards. The Communications Manager will also need to work with the wider team and FutureLearn’s partners to unlock fantastic stories about the work we’re doing, translate those into shareable formats, and promote their use throughout the company.
There is also opportunity for the successful candidate to line manager a member of the communications team and deputise for the head of communications where required.
The right candidate will have the ability to work on their own as well as be part of a team. They will be driven to succeed, love to come up with great ideas, have an eye for detail, and be passionate about creating visually stunning, impactful communications.
- Enabling and coordinating high level external communications activity across the leadership team
- Create compelling company presentations for the CEO and leadership team which uphold company messages and brand
- Liaise with senior stakeholders in the business, including those in business development role, to understand key messages, what information they need to convey, and create compelling easy-to-access and easy-to-use assets to help stakeholders communicate effectively
- Work with designers, external and internal, to ensure these presentations are visually compelling and brand compliant
- Create and maintain a hub of information about the company, which is easily accessible by the wider team at FutureLearn
- Liaise with the wider FutureLearn team, its owners and its partners to get access to examples of great work and turn them into great stories the whole company can use
- Conduct ongoing desktop research, in conjunction with the Insights and Communications teams, to ensure FutureLearn has the latest market information and that this information is easily translated into communications materials
- Ensure the wider FutureLearn team is aware of the information available by promoting it through internal communications activities such as company presentations, updating the intranet etc.
- Develop messaging to pitch for key speaking slots
- Contribute to external media relations, written and campaign work, on an adhoc basis
- Work with the head of communications to understand the broad PR messages and ensure they are reflected in all external materials
- Management of one member of the communications team
- Deputise for the head of communications as required on successful completion of probationary period
- Support the CEO, COO and People Lead to guide and manage company-wide staff forums such as fortnightly meetings and quarterly updates
- Support the CEO, COO and CSO to coordinate Board-level communications which accurately reflect company performance and activity
- Understand, align and amplify emerging messages at different levels of the company, so that there is consistency and coherence
- Support the Head of Communications and other teams with adhoc company wide internal communications and crisis management as needed
- Passionate about communicating with impact for the purposes of driving business success
- Experience of developing presentation materials
- Excellent written English, presentation and oral skills
- Knowledge of the education sector
- Communications experience, including media relations and writing comments
- Ability to digest and disseminate information efficiently including both written and numerical information
- Experience of working with senior leadership / c-suite
- Excellent team-working / cross team collaboration skills
- Ability to manage upwards
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to demonstrate excellent professional judgement
- Ability to self-motivate
- Ability to prioritise workload and juggle tasks
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience of using Keynote
- Experience of using Google docs
- Experience of using tools such as Slack and Periscope
- An interest in the latest technologies
- Experience of an in-house / client-side role
- Line management experience
- Internal communications experience
- Experience of or an interest in analysing data to glean interesting insights
- An interest in or experience in project management
● 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
● Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
● Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
● Cycle to work scheme
● Season Ticket loan
● Flexible working environment/hours
● Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
● OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
● Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a CV and cover letter. On your cover letter please clearly explain how you meet the essential skills and experience criteria mentioned in the requirements specification section of the job description. This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application's chances of success.
Deadline to submit CV and cover letter: Monday 17th June
Telephone interviews: Thursday 20th / Friday 21st June
Face-to-face interviews: Thursday 27th / Friday 28th June (to include a work related task)
Please contact [email protected] if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender assignment, age, pregnancy, maternity and paternity status, or disability status, marital and civil partnership status.