Agile Delivery Manager
Reporting to: Head of Product Management
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are an agile product team, loosely following scrum practices which have evolved organically over time. Our small, cross-functional teams are pro-active, focussed on impact and engage directly with other disciplines and stakeholders.
Until now we have not had the role of Agile Delivery Manager at FutureLearn - instead the typical duties of this role have been performed by the Product Manager, Tech Leads and sometimes rotating ‘Sprint Leaders’.
We are interested in developing the discipline of Agile Delivery Management at this point in our growth because we want to remove distractions for our product teams and allow our existing staff to focus on what they do best. We are also interested in evolving our approach to agile software development to ensure that our teams are happy, solving the right problems, shipping great code and having a positive impact on our learners, educators and the business.
We are initially looking for an Agile Delivery Manager to work in our Employers & Public Education group. This is an exciting area of our business creating high profile campaigns that give free courses to target audiences and developing our proposition for employers. It has interesting challenges due to the fact that the clients and external stakeholders the team works with are often large, waterfall institutions.
As the first Agile Delivery Manager at FutureLearn you will have the support of all disciplines to improve delivery in your team. It is likely that in the next 6 to 12 months we will hire more Agile Delivery Managers and so, for the right person, this could become a leadership role within the company.
Our understanding of this role aligns with what is detailed in this blog post by Emily Webber.
- Be based in a small, collaborative product team comprised of a Product Manager, Engineers and a Product Designer
- Lead on agile and lean practices in the team that enable the team to collaborate and deliver value against the product vision
- Proactively learn new techniques and know when to use them
- Be focussed on the health and happiness of the team and how they work together
- Encourage and motivate the team, protecting them from external distractions so they can focus on what they do best
- Work with key stakeholders to improve processes that surround the product team so that delivery is as efficient and impactful as possible
- Work with the Product Manager to report team plans and progress to key stakeholders and the wider organisation
- Experience of being an Associate Delivery Manager, Delivery Manager, Scrum Master or Agile Coach, working hands-on in an agile, cross-functional product team
- Experience of working with Product Managers or Product Owners, Engineers and Designers in a collaborative environment
- Able to give examples of where you have supported a product team to deliver using a range of agile tools and techniques
- Pragmatism about frameworks; we don’t have the desire to fully adopt any specific software development framework so you will be able and willing to choose the right tool for the situation
- Experience of stakeholder management - including stakeholders from non-product disciplines, e.g. business development, marketing, project management
- Experience of applying agile techniques in the context of a more waterfall project or organisation
- Up to £60k per annum, depending on experience
- External coaching - as the only Delivery Manager at FutureLearn we will ensure you have an experienced Delivery Manager to draw on for support
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please apply via Workable. On your cover letter please tell us why you think you’d be suitable for this role.
Please apply by 9AM on Monday 21st January via Workable. On your cover letter please tell us why you think you’d be suitable for this role.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.