Business Development Manager
Department: Business Development
Reporting to: Director of Business Development
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are now looking for a Business Development Manager who will join the new Employers & Public Education team. You will help grow our network of clients by connecting with businesses and organisations to help them reinvent corporate training and address skills-gaps. Your work will help identify potential opportunities and win funding for large-scale projects that help educate the world.
- Drive B2B revenue to achieve FutureLearn’s ambitious growth through closing commercial deals.
- Proactively generating new business leads, as well as managing incoming sales enquiries.
- Maintaining client and industry relationships.
- Working to targets, you will be required to adopt a professional and knowledgeable approach to each new business call with an in-depth understanding of our services.
- Working with others on collaborative pitches and deal negotiations.
- Managing internal stakeholders to build and deliver on complex projects.
- Attending trade shows and events in order to foster relationships with existing clients and identify new prospects.
- Network and build relationships within target prospects in order to understand key decision makers.
- Demonstrated success in business development and B2B sales of e-learning.
- You will need to be web savvy and fully conversant with issues relating to browsers, firewalls, hosting and data security.
- An ambitious individual, and willing to roll up your sleeves to play an important part in growing an extraordinary, forward thinking, company that believes in delivering the best open learning experiences on the internet.
- Self-motivated, organised, and able to work under pressure to deliver against performance targets consistently.
- Have a proven track record of achieving and outperforming sales targets
- You will have a genuine passion for technology, learning and the digital transformation in education. Have the ability to grasp the concept of the platform, services and company ethos to effectively communicate the offer to clients.
- You will be comfortable presenting to groups and senior prospects, to deliver key messages and handle objections effectively.
- The sales cycle can be many months. which means you’ll need a consultative approach and the initiative and drive to develop your own business.
- You will be an exceptional communicator with strong negotiation skills and the ability to work autonomously and influence senior stakeholders
- You will have a wide network of useful contacts and potential leads, however this is not essential
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.