Product Lead, Data Platform
Product Lead, Data Platform
Reporting to: Head of Product Management
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full time
Location: London, Camden and you must have the right to work in the UK
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and the University of Groningen. We also work offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run thousands of online courses that have attracted 9 million learners from all over the world and we have seen over 22 million enrolments. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in the extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
The Data Platform Product Lead is responsible for articulating the vision and setting the direction of FutureLearn’s data platform, infrastructure and reporting ecosystem working in close collaboration with other data and insight disciplines.
Working together with the Lead Data Engineer, they lead a small cross functional team of data engineers (and in future potentially other roles such as data visualisation designers) to deliver the tools, web services and infrastructure needed for FutureLearn to:
- understand our business
- provide relevant insights to our partners
- create the foundation upon which to build data driven products such as course recommendations or automated pastoral support.
The Data Platform Product Lead will act as the owner of our suite of data visualisation and analysis tools and data services, and help to evolve our existing ecosystem to better democratise data across the organisation and make it easy for FutureLearn staff and our partners to derive actionable insights to improve our learning experiences and make them commercially successful. They are also responsible for ensuring that enough support is in place to maximise its value.
They manage the Data Platform team’s priorities, ensure that the correct features are being built in the right order and that the work supports the needs of the strategic teams, data scientists and data analysts whilst balancing the longer term development, scalability and health of our data infrastructure and tools.
The Data Platform Product Lead will report to the Head of Product Management and is a part of the community of practice made up of other data disciplines such as data analysts, data scientists and data engineers.
- Experience of agile Product Management e.g. setting and communicating vision, product discovery, planning and prioritising delivery, leading and empowering cross functional teams, managing stakeholders
- Experience of working within a cross functional teams and agile software development
- Experience of data warehouses and tools to present, visualise and understand data, a good understanding of the needs of analysts and data scientists and championing how adopting a data-led approach can positively affect organisational culture
- A technical understanding of ETL pipelines and big data infrastructure and data-science products involving machine-learning approaches
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with proven experience dealing with different levels of an organisation from Executive level down
- Develop a keen understanding of the data and reporting needs of the different roles within the business and the needs of our university partners and the most appropriate ways to provide them with the data and insights that will benefit both them and FutureLearn
- Ensure that the team have and maintain an awareness of the tools and technologies available in the market to support data collection, reporting, analysis and visualisation, and their potential benefits to FutureLearn
- Understand how our data processes and infrastructure needs to grow and develop to support the needs of the business as we scale and that our data continues to be accurate and reliable
- Work with senior leaders and other stakeholders to identify opportunities and create new business cases to develop our data platform and infrastructure and support the Data Science team to productionise data science products where required
- Be familiar with the regulations that affect the collection, processing and handling of data (eg GDPR) and ensure that FutureLearn is following best practice
- Set the strategy for the suite of data visualisation tools and define the approach to supporting data driven features and services, including making informed decisions around when to build vs buy
- Prioritise the work of the data platform team and facilitate yearly, quarterly and fortnightly planning in line with other teams
- Experiment with ways to define and measure the success of the data platform team and share this with others
- Design processes to support connections and alignment between the Data Platform team and others, including how to support other teams developing data driven features
- Create processes that help product teams consider how product changes will impact our data capture and reporting and ensure that changes we make to the data warehouse do not adversely affect business critical information and provide advice where appropriate
- Facilitate team decisions and resolve conflicts
- Define and agree what ‘done’ looks like, write stories and celebrate success when the team’s outcomes are met
- Encourage innovation and take responsibility for improving the way Data Platform teams work and share best practices with others
- Own our data visualisation and analysis tools and ensure that the dashboards they contain are also stewarded effectively or retired
- Develop effective relationships with senior leaders that lead to good decisions that have support
- Identify the best ways to take data-science products and models from the prototyping stage to deployment stage in collaboration with data scientists and guide the team to make this happen
- Clearly communicate the vision, strategy and plans of the data platform team and how it supports FutureLearn’s purpose and strategy
- Ensure that the product team and its key stakeholders understand what the data platform team are working on now, next and later
- Facilitate workshops with stakeholders and Data Platform team members and contribute to regular meetings such as sprint reviews
- Provide appropriate support for using our tools and ensure the right documentation is in place
- Manage stakeholders and develop good working practices with internal teams and our partners, including enabling other teams to use and contribute to the data warehouse
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a CV and cover letter. On your cover letter please clearly explain how you meet the essential skills and experience criteria mentioned in the requirements specification section of the job description . This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application's chances of success.
Please contact [email protected] if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender assignment, age, pregnancy, maternity and paternity status, or disability status, marital and civil partnership status.