Chief Revenue Officer
CHIEF REVENUE OFFICER
FutureLearn Background Summary:
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now jointly owned by The Open University and The SEEK Group. Nearly 10 million people worldwide have signed up to FutureLearn courses. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and degrees that improve working lives. It partners with over a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England (HEE). It is also the online platform underpinning government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education
Role Summary/ Overview - The Chief Revenue Officer (CRO):
The Chief Revenue Officer will be responsible for all FutureLearn revenue channels and therefore the delivery of revenue goals and targets. The CRO will also be responsible for building FutureLearn.com as an online marketplace where learners, educators and employers come together.
As a part of this approach, the CRO will lead marketing activities and build a student sales and recruitment operation for FutureLearn leveraging FutureLearn’s marketplace.
Purpose of the role:
- To leverage all FutureLearn revenue channels to ensure the achievement of FutureLearn’s commercial goals and targets
- To identify and work with Chief Content & Partnerships Officer to develop a compelling content portfolio that will drive profile, brand, reach and revenue with a promotional strategy that supports content strategy
- To work with CXO to improve discovery on the platform to surface priority content more prominently, reduce bounce rates etc.
- To introduce paid marketing where appropriate for higher value qualifications
- To build a student recruitment operation for microcredentials and degrees which leverages the FutureLearn marketplace
- To manage all e-commerce activities for FL working with the product teams including pricing and payments etc.
- To build FutureLearn as an online marketplace
- To develop FutureLearn’s brand and ‘tone of voice’
- To develop and implement a powerful inbound marketing strategy to:
- Transform the SEO of FutureLearn.com
- Create a world class social strategy
- Introduce CRM and overhaul email communications
- Introduce UGC including ratings and reviews
- Develop FutureLearn as a content publisher with blogs, podcasts etc.
- To partner with SEEK to unlock the potential of their employer and learner base and to grow FutureLearn’s international footprint through cross promotion
- To identify powerful global promotional partnerships including affiliates etc.
- Expert: High levels of proven commercial acumen delivering results and driving clearly for commercial outcomes; high levels of financial literacy
- Expert: Strategic thinker with an ability to develop and shape strategy at the company level also
- Expert: High levels of awareness externally with showing keen commercial insights within the marketplace; fully conversant with market developments; at ease communicating externally with the market
- Expert: Digital marketing, brand development and e-commerce, including different business models, pricing
- Expert: Scaling a digital business to achieve significant consumer revenues
- Expert: Strong collaboration; working closely with product, design, user experience
- Desirable: Has an understanding of business development and sales
- Desirable: Experience of being involved in student recruitment within the Higher Education sector
- Has proven experience of strategic thinking and an ability to develop and shape strategy at company level
- Has an established track record delivery of commercial results - achieving goals and targets consistently over time
- Has leveraged sales and business development to drive for revenue outcomes
- Has proven credibility and authority with the partner community
- Has a track record for being a collaborator with strong stakeholder management - internally and at Board level
- Has shown strong leadership capability in previous roles able to make tough decisions; can challenge and make hard choices
- In this new role, the CRO will to clearly demonstrate that they will be able to have personal attributes critical to the success of the CRO role as follows:
- Results orientated - clear and collaborative, focused and outcome driven
- Relationship management - articulate and able to quickly win trust and build relationships; self confident and able to challenge and be challenged
- Entrepreneurial - very bright and energetic; able to operate in a fast moving environment which changes quickly
- Resilient, mature and able to handle frustration and set backs and comfortable with ambiguity and compromise
- High levels of integrity and strong values; straightforward, objective, low ego and happy to work in an environment where ‘sleeves need to be rolled up’ from time to time
- Has a global mindset and is culturally sensitive; able to think and act globally
- Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
- Known for being a strong collaborator as a member of their leadership team; has high energy, is proactive and curious; a true agile operator
- High levels of business acumen; possesses strong influencing skills - working through others
- Able to ‘live by’ the FutureLearn Values
- BE OPEN - We’re transparent with our learners, our partners and each other about what we’re doing and why
- EMPOWER OTHERS - We help our learners, our partners and each other be the best they can be, welcoming anyone to the FutureLearn community
- LEARN TOGETHER - We listen to and address the needs of our learners and partners, celebrating our successes and learning from our failures
- THINK BIG - We strive to transform education - and change our learners’ lives, our partners’ businesses and the world in the process
- HAVE FUN - We make online learning enjoyable for our learners and our partners alike, and have fun while we’re doing it!
A comprehensive benefits package is available
Please submit a CV and cover letter. On your cover letter please address the following points;
- Tell us the 3 reasons why you would be an asset to Future Learn.
- Tell us the 3 key skills you have which you believe would be an asset for this specific role.
- Tell us the 3 key reasons why you want to work for FutureLearn.
- Tell us the 3 ways you believe you align with the values of Future Learn.
The closing date for application is the 23rd of July at midnight UK time.
Please contact [email protected] if you require any help of support during the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBTQ+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender assignment, age, pregnancy, maternity and paternity status, or disability status, marital and civil partnership status.