Senior Learning Designer (18 Month - FTC)
FutureLearn is transforming access to education. We offer online courses, programs and full online degrees run by the world’s leading universities from around the globe, and cultural institutions such as The British Library, BFI, and the British Council.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted seven million learners from all over the world and we have seen over 15 million enrolments on our MOOCs. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We’re looking for an energetic and experienced Learning Designer to join an exciting new team at Coventry University that will be dedicated to developing postgraduate and undergraduate online distance learning qualifications in their new CU Online team.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We seek an enthusiastic and collaborative educational professional who is knowledgeable and passionate about new approaches to teaching and learning online. You will be steeped in pedagogic theory and want to apply this to inform the development of multiple postgraduate and undergraduate online distance learning qualifications for one of FutureLearn’s UK university partners.
You are a creative thinker and a tinkerer, and you love explaining complex concepts. You take personal satisfaction in seeing people with diverse knowledge and backgrounds easily understand and work with your ideas. We’re looking for a self-starter who is flexible and committed to working to deadlines and priorities defined by academic faculty and project stakeholders.
To help people find this advert, we're calling you a Learning Designer; you might call yourself something different at the moment (Instructional Designer, Learning Technologist or Academic Developer, perhaps). But if you think you can help, we want to hear from you.
This role is based at Coventry University in the West Midlands, UK, and will be part of a fast-moving and evolving team. You will need to have the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment, and be happy to assist other areas of the business when required. It is likely you will also be required to commute to London and other locations occasionally. This is a full-time 18 month fixed term contract.
The Learning Designer brings their expertise in pedagogy, instructional design and educational technology to help university faculty to deliver high-quality online distance qualifications that are innovative, inspiring and enjoyable. They will be central in the design of engaging learning experiences for students.
The role will be a key representative for adapting FutureLearn’s pedagogy at Coventry University, providing advice on FutureLearn’s approach and best practice amongst the wider Coventry University Online team. We will require you to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the FutureLearn platform.
- Provides pedagogic advice, guidance, encouragement and support regarding the design and construction of online programs, course content and learning activities.
- Designs, tests and evaluates courses that are interactive, engaging and provide a compelling learner experience.
- Runs and facilitates learning design workshops for academic staff, content development teams and stakeholders to help convert existing face-to-face, or completely new programs with defined learning outcomes and syllabi into effective online distance learning programs.
- Collaborates closely with academics, tutors and other subject matter experts to design course-level activities that play to the strengths of FutureLearn’s social learning platform and Coventry University’s pedagogy.
- Actively keeps abreast of developments and research across FutureLearn, the University, online learning landscape and in learning and educational technologies in general. Shares analysis with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Guides and offers professional development opportunities for colleagues and stakeholders in the discipline of instructional design for online learning.
- Works closely with the Content Producer and Project Manager to ensure courses are designed according to the agreed specification and level of quality.
- Competitive Salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- Great coffee, teas & fruit and daily breakfast
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital or disability status.