FutureLearn is transforming access to education. Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by leading universities around the globe and cultural institutions such as The British Library, BFI and the British Council. Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over six million learners from all over the world and we've seen over 15 million enrolments on our MOOCs. Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
ABOUT THE ROLE
FutureLearn is looking for a talented product designer with a strong focus on branding to join our dynamic UX, Research & Design team. We follow a user-centred design (UCD) process in an agile, product environment. This role will report into the Creative Director, working within the product team, whilst also championing and developing our brand in other areas of the company. This is a unique opportunity for the right person to influence the power of our global brand, whilst working on something that has a positive impact on users.
- Work closely with the creative director, product managers, the user experience lead, other designers, researchers, developers and other stakeholders to understand project requirements and create forward-thinking solutions that push the boundaries and deliver successful outcomes for the learner and for those involved.
- Evolve and champion the FutureLearn brand within the company and with our partners, finding the right balance between introducing new exciting ways to evolve the brand, and championing brand consistency across all outputs.
- Drive the user experience, interaction, and visual design throughout the entire project lifecycle from initial idea generation, sketches, user flows and wireframes to the delivery of visually rich, inspiringly simple, and easy-to-use experiences that enhance our brand.
- Conduct simple user research and testing of your designs with users, analyse results and integrate these changes into your design process, with guidance from the user researchers in our team.
- Design product solutions within the framework of the FutureLearn pattern library (see https://www.futurelearn.com/pattern-library) becoming an active participant in evolving and developing the pattern library with the team over time.
- Work with the marketing and communication teams to create bold inspiring brand campaigns and collateral when required.
- Present your work fortnightly at sprint reviews and in other situations to groups of people, taking on feedback and adjusting designs as required. In addition, actively contribute to other discussions about the product, championing the user experience and brand at all times.
- You will be a senior designer with a good understanding of user experience, digital design and branding, who holds a degree in design (or has relevant experience).
- You will be super passionate about creating experiences that appeal to current users, and attract new users, whilst understanding the need to balance this with business requirements.
- Your work will show a strong visual flare, with a portfolio of fresh ideas, and a solid design aesthetic, whilst also demonstrating the ability to work within a brand’s specific guidelines and always showing a keen attention to detail.
- You will be obsessed with the details of the user experience, and have the ability to simplify complex problems into an easy-to-use experience, whilst making functional specs look and feel delicious.
- You will be aware of current UX and design trends, techniques and patterns, and find ways to introduce and utilise them in your work when appropriate.
- You will be a great communicator, with the ability to get your ideas across through a range of styles, tools or techniques as appropriate, whilst also accepting specific direction and being flexible to changes.
- You will love what you do and be committed to making excellent work, showing motivation to complete the tasks to the best of your ability, and developing your skills at every opportunity.
- You will naturally work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team, being flexible to changes and specific direction, whilst maintaining a positive attitude.
- Quite simply, you will be a delight to work with, and we’ll wonder how we ever worked without you!
- Competitive Salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- Great coffee, teas & fruit and daily breakfast
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital or disability status.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a link to your outstanding portfolio and attach your CV along with an email explaining why you are so interested in this position.