Chief Marketing Officer
FutureLearn is transforming access to education and is one of the world’s largest social learning platforms.
Based in London’s Camden Town, we offer online courses, programs and degrees run by over 100 leading universities from around the world including UCL, University of California Berkeley, University of Edinburgh, University of Melbourne, King’s College London, Purdue University and University of Groningen. We also work offer online courses from specialist education providers including CIPD, UNESCO and the Raspberry PI foundation.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
Since our launch in September 2013, we’ve run hundreds of courses that have attracted over 7.5 million learners from all over the world and we've seen over 19 million enrolments on our open online courses and are now working with our partners to pioneer a more modular and accessible approach to studying full degrees.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in the extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
As we move closer to breaking even on our current funding from The Open University, and start to explore the next phase of FutureLearn’s ambitions, we are looking for a Chief Marketing Officer who will help us continue this strong trajectory by bringing a clear commercial marketing perspective to everything we do.
THE ROLE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chief Marketing Officer will report to the CEO and be a member of the senior management team.
Lead the development and implementation of a bold and creative marketing strategy
- Define, shape and deliver a bold and creative integrated marketing strategy that reflects a clear understanding of our competition and focuses on our market positioning and our target audience to support all of our revenue streams and build us into a globally recognised brand.
- Grow the numbers of learners, reduce the cost of acquisition and increase rates of engagement and conversion across the whole range of our offerings from short online courses to full online degrees.
- Deepen co-marketing relationships with our existing partners and bring in new promotional partners to support our growth.
- Manage the marketing budget to deliver on this strategy.
Grow consumer revenue
- Lead the continuing growth of our consumer revenue by delivering on your marketing strategy and working closely with business development, content and product teams to optimise the course portfolio and development of features that create experiences that drive up enrolment, engagement and completion and conversion.
- Responsible for our consumer revenue target.
Lead and manage the marketing team
- Lead and manage our marketing team which is currently 10 strong. Ensure the team has the clear direction and support they need in order to deliver.
- Inspire and mentor the team to develop their skills. Grow and develop the team’s structure and processes to match the needs of the company as it changes over time.
Represent marketing internally and externally
- Champion the role of marketing at FutureLearn to influence everything we do from strategy to sales to operations.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate our investors, management, staff and partners (academic, corporate and governmental) regarding the company’s marketing vision, opportunities and challenges.
- Lead by example and promote FutureLearn’s values of thinking big, being open, empowering others, learning together and having fun.
- Track record of delivering significant growth to a global digital business and brand through marketing
- Experience of successfully leading, developing and scaling a marketing team
- Experience in developing and implementing strategies on CRM, paid advertising and promotional partnerships
- Track record of creating and managing successful integrated marketing campaigns
- Ability to learn, adapt and solve problems creatively
- Ability to negotiate mutually beneficial marketing partnerships
- Bring a clear understanding of how to manage highly data-driven marketing strategies to demonstrate clear improvements in metrics ranging from customer acquisition to retention to referrals
- Strong analytical skills combined with good business judgement
- Experience working in a collaborative and transparent environment
- Pragmatic approach with the ability to build relationships and trust and use influence to get things done
- The following would each be beneficial but are not required
- Experience of marketing ‘freemium’ products
- Experience in marketing educational services
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- Great coffee, teas & fruit and snacks
- Complimentary breakfast
To apply, please send us your CV and a one page cover letter, stating your salary expectations.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!