Department: UX Research and Design
Reporting to: Digital Product Designer
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a product designer you’ll join our dynamic UX Research & Design team and be working closely with product managers, software engineers and other stakeholders to understand project requirements and create inspiringly forward-thinking and delightfully simple experiences that empower our learners.
You’ll be involved in every aspect of the design process – from initial user research through to prototyping concepts and visual design. You’ll work closely with software engineers, to ensure the best possible execution and continuous iteration and improvement.
This is a unique opportunity for the right person looking to grow their skills, collaborate with others, and work on something that has a positive impact on users.
- You will be involved in creating the user experience, interaction and visual design throughout the entire project lifecycle from initial idea generation, sketches, user flows and wireframes to the delivery of visually rich, inspiringly simple, and easy-to-use experiences that champion our brand.
- You will conduct simple user research and testing of your designs with users, analyse results and integrate these changes into your design process – with support and guidance from the user researchers in our team.
- You will be comfortable designing within the framework of the FutureLearn Design System – becoming an active participant in helping evolve and develop the system over time.
- You will be comfortable presenting your work fortnightly at sprint reviews and in other situations, to groups of people, taking on feedback and adjusting designs as required.
- You will actively contribute to other discussions about the product, championing the user experience and brand at all times.
- You will have experience working at junior to mid level in a digital product design role, ideally holding a degree in design (or have relevant experience).
- You are a versatile designer with experience and interest in all aspects of digital product design – user experience, interaction and visual design.
- You are interested in people and are naturally curious and empathetic. You enjoy taking part in user research, discovering the underlying user goals and needs and testing your design solutions.
- You will be super passionate about creating experiences that appeal to the users, whilst understanding the need to balance this with business requirements.
- You’re excited by designing systems rather than pages.
- Your portfolio will show flare and be full of fresh ideas, displaying a solid design aesthetic and a keen attention to detail.
- You will be aware of current UX and design trends, techniques and patterns and find ways to introduce them into your work when appropriate.
- You communicate clearly and naturally, working collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team, being flexible to changes and specific direction, whilst maintaining a positive attitude.
- You’re eager to learn and experiment – be it a new prototyping tool, technical skill, out of the box concept, or a design research technique. You never stop learning!
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Submit a link to your outstanding portfolio and attach your CV along with an email explaining why you are so interested in this position.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!