Department: UX, Research and Design Team
Reporting to: UX Researcher
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full Time
Location: London, Camden. This is not a remote working position, and you must have the right to work in the UK.
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now the largest online learning platform in Europe with over eight million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible online courses and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and the New York Institute of Finance.
Our vision is a global community, where everyone learns together and enjoys access to the education they need to transform their lives. Our award-winning platform helps by provoking conversation around the course material, so that learners and educators learn as much from each other as from the material itself.
We are continuing our expansion as we make this journey from offering short online courses, through micro credentials to full online degrees, and working with employers and governments to reduce skills gaps. The pace of this change is reflected in extremely rapid growth of our revenues.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is an exciting and unique opportunity to work within a multidisciplinary team conducting user research with over 7 million online learners and a growing group of university partners and educational institutions.
This role sits within the UX, Research & Design team, which consists of Product Designers, UX Research Lead and UX Researcher, Head of UX, and the Chief Experience Officer. As your Line Manager, the UX Researcher will give you guidance and direction as you work on research tasks. You will also be encouraged to work independently and manage your own work within projects.
You will work closely with the UX Researchers, Product Designers, Strategists, Data Scientists, and product teams, to plan and conduct user experience research using various qualitative and quantitative research methods. You’ll support teams to do research, deliver insights, and to design outstanding user experiences. You’ll also create empathy for our users across the entire company.
FutureLearn is passionate about creating a comfortable, friendly and positive place to work. Our company values encourage employees to: Be Open. Have Fun. Think Big. Empower Others. And Learn Together.
- Plan and conduct user research using appropriate methods in an iterative, agile business. Methods could include: usability studies, remote and face-to-face interviews, focus groups, online surveys, desk research, guerrilla testing, contextual inquiry, card-sorting, tree tests and diary studies.
- Work closely with product teams to undertake research projects at all stages: understanding objectives, planning, recruiting, writing discussion guides, advising on stimulus, setting up and facilitating research, analysing and delivering findings.
- Recruit diverse and appropriate participants globally, managing the process from start to finish. This may include using agencies, manually recruiting using surveys and using opportunity samples.
- Present findings and recommendations clearly to key stakeholders and the broader business, balancing user and business needs.
- Promote user research in the business by identifying opportunities for further research and supporting the research team in educating others about methods.
- Help to train and encourage other people in the company to conduct research.
A solid understanding of user research methodologies and how to use them appropriately.
- We are looking for a Junior/Mid -level UX researcher with previous experience conducting user research in a digital product setting, including:
- Confident use of a selection of qualitative and quantitative user research methods.
- Ample hands-on facilitation and interviewing experience with a variety of people.
- Use of relevant software tools and technology to conduct and deliver research.
- Experience of testing ideas, prototypes and live products on mobile and desktop.
- Recruitment of participants.
- Presenting findings and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Experience of research for learning platforms is a bonus but not essential.
You will be:
- An excellent listener with a natural empathy for the user. You’ll have a passion for understanding their needs whilst demonstrating the rigour, focus and attention to detail needed to gather insight methodically.
- An analytical problem-solver, able to balance user and business needs to quickly develop recommendations based on evidence.
- An excellent communicator and storyteller, with the ability to get your ideas across easily, confidently and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, to different audiences.
- Very comfortable analysing and presenting qualitative data, and gathering and handling it ethically.
- Able to interpret quantitative data (e.g. from surveys) using basic descriptive statistics.
- Proactive in staying up to date with developments in UX research, keen to develop your expertise and ready to spot chances to use new or adapted techniques where appropriate.
- Creative and pragmatic in your approach, making the most of available resources.
- Happy to work with light direction, be flexible and accept specific direction as required.
- Comfortable working on a few tasks concurrently, happy to switch focus when needed.
- Highly organised, with great time-management.
- Enthusiastic about collaborative working and encouraging others to get involved in research.
Quite simply, you will be a delight to work with, and we’ll wonder how we ever got by without you!
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
Please contact [email protected], if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.